Owen's Diagnosis - Shone's Complex
Shone's Complex information found at Cove Point Foundation
Congenital Heart Defect
- 1 percent of babies are born with a CHD.
- Nine out of every 1,000 babies born in the US are born with a congenital heart abnormality.
- One third of these babies require intervention to prevent death in the first year of life.
- 85 to 90 percent of CHDs have no known causes.
- 5 to 6 percent are related to chromosome abnormality.
- 3 to 5 percent are related to single gene defects.
- 2 percent are related to environmental factors.
- Approximately 1.3 million people living in the US today were born with a congenital heart defect, and at least half of these individuals are under age 25.
- Although some babies will be diagnosed during gestation or at birth, sometimes the diagnosis is not made until days, weeks, months, or even years after. In some cases, CHD is not detected until adolescence or adulthood
CHD information can be found at Boston Children's Hospital