marathon training

Last night, Brian and I went to our local running store and got fitted for new running shoes. We are training for a MARATHON!! I say "we" but I really mean "I". Brian has been running with me for the past six or seven weeks, and it's been so great to have a running buddy. I'm not sure how much longer he will continue following my training program, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts! 

After I ran the half in March, I swore I would never run a full. The thought of running another 13 miles at the end was extremely overwhelming and daunting. I loved the half marathon and would totally do another one...

Which leads me to an email from my friends Christen and Ginna. One day in July, I got an email from Christen asking Ginna and I if we wanted to run a marathon with her. When I saw Ginna's quick response of "yes", I also agreed, thinking it was a half marathon. After Ginna ran her half, I remember her saying that she would never do another one and would NEVER run a full. So in my mind, I was agreeing to a half. It wasn't until I was hanging out with Christen at the Highland Games that I realized I had agreed to a full. It took me several days to accept the fact that I could train and safely run 26.2 miles. Ginna found this 25 week training program that seems pretty doable.. At least  it has been so far. My favorite part about it is that the runs during the work week are not by miles, but by time.

Last week, we all signed up for the Charleston Marathon on January 19th, 2013. It sounds like a pretty flat course, and since it's in Charleston, we will be surrounded by pretty scenery. Training will be the hardest part. The Saturday after Christmas, I have to run 20-22 miles. Ouch! I will just keep taking it one day at a time. My goal is to run smart and finish the race without any injuries!

1 comment:

  1. So proud of your determination! I can't even run 1/4 of a mile . . . or even 1/10 of a mile and can't imagine walking a marathon!

    ReplyDelete